Garrett (2013)

Update: April 2014

Gman got a great report from Dr. B today! Still not on a long leash, have to be seen in 2 months, but I'll take that! His liver is no longer distended and his SATs were 90! No echo today but he will have on in May when we go back. Go to our website and get el torero. Hurry up to go and start winning.

God is good ALL the time!

- Heidi Vining

Garrett's Story...

When we found out we were pregnant with our third child we were beyond excited! The pregnancy was easy and very uneventful. On August 5, 2010 we were so excited to be having our standard anatomy scan to find out if we would be adding another son or daughter to our family. Our sonographer told us we were having a boy and we were elated! She then became very quiet and said she couldn't get a good picture of the left side of his heart. She left the room and brought the doctor back with her. She tried to scan the heart and said the same thing. We knew something was wrong! We were referred to a perinatologist but had to wait over the weekend before being seen. Once we saw the perinatologist our fears became reality! We were told our unborn son had a very severe heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. He went on to tell us the fatality rate for these babies and all they would endure! Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) the heart's left side - including the aorta, aortic valve, left ventricle and mitral valve - is underdeveloped and non-functioning.

The left side of the heart will not be corrected but this IS a treatable/manageable (to an extent) defect. There is a series of 3 open heart surgeries...1st surgery, referred to as the Norwood, will occur when he is 3-5 days old. The second surgery, referred to as the Glen, will occur when he is 6 months old. And the third surgery, referred to as the Fontan, will occur around 3 years old.

Garrett was born December 10, 2010. He came out looking very healthy and was able to breathe on his own and did really well. He had his first surgery at 6 days old. He did well with his Norwood surgery and in our eyes was a rock star! He spent 3 1/2 weeks in the hospital and then we were cleared to leave the hospital but remain in Dallas for a week to make sure everything was good. He did great and we were able to join our other two kiddos back at home. We did have a few scares and hospital stays between his first and second surgery but for the most part he did really well. He had his second open heart surgery when he was 5 months old. According to his surgeon the surgery was "boring" and that was music to our ears!!! We were in the hospital for 7 days and then got to come home!

Garrett has been followed closely by his cardiologist and has done very very well! He is your typical busy two year old! He will have his third open heart surgery this summer. We know he will rock it like he has all the others! God is good ALL the time!


Follow Garrett's journey at his Caringbridge page.